Haywards Heath: Sussex towns and villages
PUBLISHED: 10:42 27 June 2013 | UPDATED: 18:15 27 June 2013
Haywards Heath is known as the heart of Mid Sussex
The name Hayward comes from the Old English meaning an official who protected hedged enclosures from wandering livestock. There is also a local legend that the name comes from a highwayman called Jack Hayward.
Haywards Heath is mentioned in English Civil War records. Early in December 1642 Sir Edward Ford, the High Sheriff of Sussex, advanced with Royalist troops towards Lewes in East Sussex from Chichester in West Sussex. He was intercepted and defeated in Haywards Heath by local Parliamentarians.
East to West
Haywards Heath was originally in East Sussex, but a change to the county boundary in 1974 brought it under the jurisdiction of West Sussex. It is now known as “the heart of Mid Sussex”.
There was once a huge cattle market in the town, Bannister’s Cattle Market was built in 1859, and was the 12th largest in UK at one point. This was closed to make way for a Sainsbury’s supermarket in 1989.
This is the National Trust’s most visited place. Wakehurst is the country estate of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
01444 894066; www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wakehurst-place
Approached via a cobbled courtyard this award-winning restaurant has a light and airy interior, with an expanse of outside terracing overlooking the Victorian walled garden
01444 441102; www.jeremysrestaurant.co.uk)
The Coach and Horses
With ale on tap from Harveys in Lewes, fresh fish from Seaford and lamb from the field opposite, this is one special pub
01825 740369; coachandhorses.co) (NB. not co.uk)
The Hyde Granary
A 1,000 acre estate where roe deer roam. The granary stands alongside a coach house and clock tower, in the shadow of the main house
01444 401930; www.thehydegranary.com)
Notable neighbours: Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty, lived in New England Road. Actress Leslie Ash lives in the area
Getting there: Haywards Heath station is on a direct line to London. The A272 runs through the town, which joins the A23 to Brighton